SOCKS5 and UDP

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jan 17 20:37:42 AEDT 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:05 PM, Romain Vimont <rom at rom1v.com> wrote:
[..]
> So if I understand correctly, making "ssh -D" create a "full" SOCKS5
> server, including UDP relay¹, would require to add a new SSH request
> type (like "relay-udp")?

Right.  SSH has an extension mechanism: message types with an
@somedomain.com are "vendor extensions" that do not require IETF
standardization so it'd be relay-udp@$something.  It'd need some kind
of association tracking for UDP host/port pairs to replace the stuff
the kernel does for us with TCP, so it'd probably more complicated to
implement than the existing SOCKS/direct-tcpip support.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)