Domain name suffix woes

Martin Rys spleefer90 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:46:07 AEDT 2017

Example problem -
We have a domain with following DNS records

330.domain.com CNAME 330.blah.domain.com
330.blah.domain.com A 10.0.1.2

foo.domain.com A 10.0.2.2

Now, when I set `search domain.com` in /etc/resolv.conf, I can use SSH to
connect to foo like this

`ssh user at foo`

and I can connect to the 330 A record like this

`ssh user at 330.blah`

However I cannot connect to the 330.domain.com via

`ssh user at 330` - That gets me an error:
ssh: connect to host 330 port 22: Invalid argument

I'm assuming that when the hostname is pure number, it ignores domain
suffix. As just a number cannot be an actual IP, could this behavior be
fixed in OpenSSH?

Thanks, Martin