Relaiable ssh tunnel via systemd

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Mar 17 01:26:26 AEDT 2017

Am 16.03.2017 um 00:48 schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Thomas Güttler
> <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de> wrote:
>
>>> and much more modular
>>> configuration for multiple parallel autossh daemons without having to
>>> hand edit and customize systemd init scripts.
>>

>> We use configuration management to create and update systemd unit
>> configuration files.
>> I don't see how autossh can help here. Do you have an example?
>
> I found the logging in /var/log/autossh{-instancename}, and the
> management of multiple autossh configurations, to be much more
> manageable and reportable through configuraiton managed
> /etc/sysconfig/autossh{-intancename} files than  via the confusing and
> Linux-kernel-only logging of systemd. I found authorship and
> maintenance of those files, *outside* of the SELinux and default
> systemd configurations, to be far more flexible and reliable for my
> uses. And even debugging the "ssh client is getting restarted too fast
> and port isn't released" was painful when I encountered it in similar
> environments.
>
>> I can't follow. My brain is still focused on the question: Why autossh?
>
> You've taken the time to say that you have systemd configured through
> a separate management tool. For me, this is one of many instances for
> which I find sytemd's centralization and merging of all logging into a
> single log repository awkward and unnecessary.
>
> So please allow me to invert the question. What logging benefit or
> maintenance benefit are you gaining from inserting autossh instance
> specific configurations into systemd init files, and losing the
> segregation of autossh logs into individually parseable and reviewable
> log files?

Of course, I like questions.

I like simple systems. If I can avoid a daemon, then I do it.

Systemd is the process-Supervisor on my operating system. If there
are no good reasons for an other process-Supervisor, then I use systemd.

Logging via systemd is no problem for me.

One reason to use autossh is the ugly ExecStartPre which I use to kill and old
tunnel.

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--