OpenSSH socket forwarding in ssh_config file?

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Fri Oct 19 20:39:50 AEDT 2018

On 19Oct2018 17:12, Damien Miller <djm at mindrot.org> wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Oct 2018, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> The ssh command line's -L option has supported socket forwarding for
>> a while,
>> but as far as I can tell the ssh_config file does not, even in 7.9.
>
>It does, look for LocalForward

Pardon me, I've been unclear.

I don't mean TCP forwards but UNIX domain socket forwarding. I use
LocalForward extensively in my ssh configs for tunnels, but although
these command line options:

    -L [bind_address:]port:host:hostport
    -L [bind_address:]port:remote_socket
    -L local_socket:host:hostport
    -L local_socket:remote_socket

work just fine for UNIX domain sockets, all my efforts with UNIX socket
file paths have met with failure in the ssh config file, and the
ssh_config(5) manual entry doesn't mention them.

UNIX domain sockets have the advantage that one can apply UNIX
permissions to them, a boon on a shared machine.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>