sshd and ntpd

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Thu Aug 15 08:47:04 AEST 2019

On Wed, 14 Aug 2019 at 15:09, Peter Moody <mindrot at hda3.com> wrote:
[...]
> is it possible that the crypto routines in sshd accept would be
> sensitive to the advancing system clock and kill the connection?

For an established session I wouldn't think so.  Once it's up there
only symmetric ciphers unless it rekeys, in which case it'd use also
use the host keys.  For regular key based auth I don't think so
either.

For a connection authenticating via certificates the clock skew might
throw off the certificate validity, but I suspect it'd have to be
pretty far off for it to matter.

For most other timers (eg ClientAliveInterval, RekeyInterval) it uses
CLOCK_MONOTONIC when the platform supports it, and that is not
affected by clock steps.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)