help wanted: update ssh-askpass programs for new U2F / prompt hints

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Nov 21 03:48:26 AEDT 2019

Darren Tucker <dtucker at dtucker.net> writes:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 at 14:44, Jim Knoble <jmknoble at pobox.com> wrote:
>> My website has fallen off the web. This is a good time for someone else to take
>> over the code for x11-ssh-askpass, as I've not done anything with it for years.
>> I have the original code somewhere if needed, but I think Debian has mirrored it for some time.
>
> There's also a version in OpenBSD's xenocara repo:
> https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/xenocara/app/ssh-askpass/

Comparing that with my repo for the Debian package:

  http://git.hands.com/ssh-askpass

it seems the OpenBSD version was taken from a 2000 version of Jim's
code, whereas Debian's is based off of a later version (2001 -- the
latest I'm aware of).

Looking at this also reminds me that I've had some minor edits relating
to the manual that I've been failing to upload for several years by the
looks of it.  :-/

I had meant to do a final upload, and then orphan the Debian package, on
the basis that I don't use it myself any more ... but apparently failed.

If anyone here wants to adopt it (as a Debian package and/or as
upstream), or help with the U2F request, I would certainly welcome that,
and it looks like Jim would too.

Cheers, Phil.