Accessing SSH key path using SSH_ASKPASS and passwordstore

John Heatherington jheatherington at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 08:56:27 AEDT 2020

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020, Damien Miller wrote:

> Unfortunately the askpass convention is pretty old and baked-in to
> too many places to change radically. OTOH we could certainly harmonise

The unified prompt will work well enough for my purposes, and it lets
me keep my vault hierarchy clean, so that seems like a good change to
me.

Also I noticed my script's regex is not quite right. Should be:
"s/^.*\/\(.*[^']\)'\{0,1\}:.*$/\1/"

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 10:07 AM Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser at tarent.de> wrote:

> In kwalletcli, I just use the full prompt string as “key”.
>
> (This does something like the thing the OP described, except
> for storing/retrieving the passwords from the KDE 3/4/5 wallet.)

Now that you mention it, that kind of turns things around in my mind.
It doesn't work too well with pass to have extraneous information in
the hierarchy if you still wish to peruse it in the CLI, but if the
prompts generated by the ssh tools could be toggled to a more machine
readable format ("key:/path/to/key" or something) through some sort of
configuration option, it would prevent having to change the API in a
drastic way but still enable interesting automation by ingesting the
entire prompt.

Considering my situation, however, it's probably not justified since I
can handle everything with a one-liner in my script. I just thought
I'd bring it up in case it's more relevant to interoperability in the
future. For now I'm pretty happy with the prompts being consistent as
per Damien's changeset.

Thanks,
John