Future deprecation of ssh-rsa

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at binect.de
Thu Oct 22 22:15:21 AEDT 2020

On 22.10.20 00:37, Damien Miller wrote:
> The abilility to gracefully rotate persistent keys is a fundamental
> capability in a cryptosystem. Being able to migrate to better algorithms
> over time without breaking continuity of trust is a related capability.
> Both these are IMO serious omissions from the SSH standards.
>
> Not having these capabilities meant that servers used DSA longer than
> they should have, used RSA/1024 when they should have moved to longer
> key lengths and could not adopt better signature algorithms like Ed25519
> when they became available.

No contest there, but do you mean to say that UpdateHostKeys actually
enforces new algos and keys to be "better" than the currently-used one?
Per what, and whose (client/server), definition?

I guess that Peters mistrust is largely based on that "better, worse,
whatever" smacks of facilitating a downgrade attack, even if we don't
see how one would *actually* succeed *today* ...

Regards,
--
Jochen Bern
Systemingenieur