"Semi-Trusted" SSH-Keys that also require PAM login

Demi M. Obenour demiobenour at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 02:44:25 AEDT 2020

On 10/23/20 4:32 AM, Jan Bergner wrote:
> Hello Damien, Brian and all,
>
> thanks for the suggestions. I actually had not considered host-based authentication and looked it up.
> As I understand from my first quick reading, I would need to specify the clients which are allowed to use host-based auth on the server with a DNS name or an IP, which would not work for a client behind a CG NAT or in a cellular network.
> Or did I get this wrong?

You can use dynamic DNS to obtain a static DNS name.  As your IP
address changes, the DNS record is updated accordingly.  DNS spoofing
is not a security risk (beyond DoS) because the host must prove
possession of its secret key.  This is the approach I recommend.

> So, this is also an answer to Brian. Right now, I cannot simply use IPs.
> (However, it would not be out of reach to simply put all clients on a private VPN. But I would consider that more of a work-around to the original problem.)

Using IP addresses is not a good idea, unless you are using a VPN
that prevents spoofing.

> Thanks and best,
> Jan

Sincerely,