Doing something with OS fingerprint?

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:47:24 AEDT 2021

Op ma 22 feb. 2021 om 10:56 schreef Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at binect.de>:

> My - admittedly first ever - thoughts on that:
>
> -- Doesn't OpenSSH already parse the peer's Hello String for that
>    purpose?
No as I know it that is only the software and version, not the os,

> -- (The possibility of SSH software other than the OS default being
>    installed has already been mentioned)
> -- osf can also differ from defaults (own fingerprint files being
>    loaded, --ttl param etc.)
Huh what do you mean Jochen? You know something about this software?

> -- Just because the kernel('s iptables implementation) has that info
>    doesn't mean that ssh(d) can easily get it
No, but the creators/maintainers of the osf submodule of iptables had
probably other uses in mind
than only logging... So something like netlink? Not easy indeed.

> -- Not to forget non-Linux systems ...

Yes. It only works with iptables being present as far I can see.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Stef Bon