AcceptEnv LANG LC_* vs available locales

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.com
Thu Apr 28 00:05:16 AEST 2022

On 2022-04-27 13:16:04, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2022/04/27 13:08, Harald Dunkel wrote:
>> Hi Stuart,
>>
>> On 2022-04-27 12:47:14, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>>> SendEnv is additive, it does not replace existing config when you list
>>> a new variable, instead it adds to the existing variables.
>>>

>> The man page points to the "PATTERNS" section in this context, so
>> how about
>>
>> 	SendEnv !LANG !LC_*
>>
>> or something similar?
>
> Try it if you like, it's very simple to test, but from my understanding
> it's not going to help.

I meant, how about extending SendEnv to support something like

	SendEnv !LANG !LC_*

to explicitly forbid sending variables with a matching name to
the peer? This could help to override the settings in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

Another option to add could be to disable sending variables completely
(except for TERM).

AFAICT it is pretty uncommon, that the default configuration for some
user application (/etc/ssh/ssh_config) cannot be overridden in the user's
config file. What would you suggest to get out of this mess? Ditch all
Linux distros with a broken ssh_config file, plus MacOS? alias ssh=\
"ssh -F /dev/null" ?

Regards

Harri