Looking for Special Challenge-Response Auth PAM Module, or Similar

Darren Tucker dtucker at dtucker.net
Wed Aug 24 12:04:42 AEST 2022

On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 at 23:23, Jochen Bern <Jochen.Bern at binect.de> wrote:
[...]
> So now I'm looking for a new (additional), replay-attack-safe
> authentication method to add to the product.

This sounds like S/Key[0] or OPIE[1].  There are PAM modules available
for at least OPIE, and (to drag this moderately back on topic), those
should work with sshd's ChallengeResponseAuthentication.

If you're worried about the compromise of an appliance disclosing a
fleet-wide shared secret you could make a per-device shared secret by
hashing a fleetwide secret with a per-appliance identifier before
storing it on the appliance.  In the field you would
hash(secret|deviceid) to derive the per-device secret, then feed it
and the challenge from the device into opiekey to compute the one time
password.

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/KEY
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPIE_Authentication_System

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at dtucker.net)
GPG key 11EAA6FA / A86E 3E07 5B19 5880 E860  37F4 9357 ECEF 11EA A6FA (new)