OL8 (RHEL8), ssh-rsa turned off using update-crypto-policies, receiving an openssh error that I don't seem to be able to override in my personal .ssh/config file

kevin martin ktmdms at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 02:07:57 AEST 2024

Lol!  Our Security team sent out new policies that dictated turning off
ssh-rsa, so *we did.  turns out our Security Team doesn't necessarily
follow their own dictates, so here we are.  Our Linux team says that the
correct way to turn off ssh-rsa is via the crypto policies, not via direct
manipulation of the /etc/ssh/ssh_config, and I guess that's probably the
absolute best way to do so, but then I have this situation to deal with.  I
like the idea of leaving crypto policies defaulted, updating the ssh_config
at the system level to disable ssh-rsa, and then overriding in my local
.ssh/config file.  probably the only way I'll get this to work and still
technically follow Security team rules.   Thanks for the information.

---

Regards,

Kevin Martin