[flashboot] flashboot build issue?

Jason George jbg at masterplan.org
Sun Sep 16 01:38:28 EST 2007

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, Kevin Steves wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 07:35:39AM -0600, Jason George wrote:
> : the hackathon) but noticed yesterday that my scripts from January were now
> : failing on the build-release portion.  (They'd been running fine in different
> : incarnations for well over a year)  Initially, they failed trying to install
> : the man page for ypclnt.3.  This caused me to start digging.
> :
> : I then downloaded the 20070830 snapshot and encountered the same issue.
> :
> : I tracked it down to the options in mk-mini.conf.  If I leave various options
> : of KERBEROS, YP, etc equal to NO, then the build fails in different places when
> : trying to install.
> :
> : My setup involves building a raw, clean source tree from fresh cvs tree from a
> : daily cvsync snapshot.  I merge my custom binaries in much later (nothing to do
> : with the build-release script) so that isn't the cause.
> :
> : Any thoughts?  A standard build-world from /usr/src works just fine.  It's the
> : mk-mini options that are crating the build for me.  Did something change in
> : "make" and how it handle its options in the last number of months that I've
> : missed?
>
> I see the same thing and have not yet been able to track its
> cause down.
>
> I get the problem also when I build 4.2 using 4.1 make program, and
> 4.1 /usr/share/mk makefiles.
>
> install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 shmget.cat2 /extra/flash-dist/usr/share/man/cat2/shmget.0
> install -c -o root -g bin -m 444 ypclnt.cat3 /extra/flash-dist/usr/share/man/cat3/ypclnt.0
> install: ypclnt.cat3: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop in /extra/OPENBSD_4_2/src/lib/libc (line 88 of /usr/share/mk/bsd.man.mk).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /extra/OPENBSD_4_2/src/lib.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /extra/OPENBSD_4_2/src (line 73 of Makefile).

I was out for my regular beers with Theo on Wednesday and mentioned this
breakage (prefacing, of course, that I knew this isn't supported through
the regular channels).

Since I can still repeat the error conditions running strictly as root and
with the sudo references completely eliminated, the trigger is somewhere
in the make and .mk file setup.

Unfortunately, I think part of the solution is to checkout OPENBSD_4_1 and
selectively update the local tree week by week since about the start of
May.  Then do a full rebuild and install and repeat...  This will at least
reduce the window of commits to have to go through that might be
triggering the error.