[flashboot] 4.4-CURRENT and LE565

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Tue Nov 18 22:26:32 EST 2008

On 2008/11/18 12:15, Massimo Lusetti wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 23:42:02 +1100 (EST)
> Damien Miller <djm at mindrot.org> wrote:
>
> > I had an LE565 until recently, but it stopped working with a puff of
> > smoke :(
>
> Really sorry for that
>
> > It never had any trouble with CF, but it did have interrupt routing
> > problems (long before 4.4) that went away with pcibios being turned
> > off. You might want to try disabling apm instead and seeing if ACPI
> > solves them - it didn't work for me the last time I checked, but
> > there have been many improvements since then.
> >
> > -d
>
> Well with pcibios turned off the interrupts routes correctly but the CR
> reader still hangs with DMA issues.
>
> Did you set any particular value into the BIOS? I must say I've tried
> some without any luck.

The Commell probably doesn't have DMA lines wired to the CF socket,
but your card probably does support DMA. The OS can't detect this other
than by lack of response from the card after trying DMA. This problem
is compounded by many CF cards which don't correctly honour the RESET
command sent when the OS tries to revert to PIO mode when it detects
this situation.

Try disabling DMA: boot -c, "change wd", and set the flags to 0x0ff0
- see wd(4) for more details.

You can make it permanent with config(8) or by editing kernel config.

It mightn't be a bad idea for the flashboot config files to use these
flags anyway..