[flashboot] 4.4-CURRENT and LE565

Massimo Lusetti massimo at cedoc.mo.it
Wed Nov 19 01:22:37 EST 2008

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:26:32 +0000
Stuart Henderson <stu at spacehopper.org> wrote:

> The Commell probably doesn't have DMA lines wired to the CF socket,
> but your card probably does support DMA. The OS can't detect this
> other than by lack of response from the card after trying DMA. This
> problem is compounded by many CF cards which don't correctly honour
> the RESET command sent when the OS tries to revert to PIO mode when
> it detects this situation.

That could be but i cannot understand why Damien didn't experience the
same problem with the same board...

> Try disabling DMA: boot -c, "change wd", and set the flags to 0x0ff0
> - see wd(4) for more details.

For what i know flashboot kernel didn't support boot -c but...

> You can make it permanent with config(8) or by editing kernel config.

... I've slightly modified a flashboot kernel (even GENERIC-RD) to
totally disable DMA (0x0ffc) and with that the kernel/OS boot regularly.

I simply noted this issues coming out with >= 4.3 and not with my
previous version which was based on 4.1

> It mightn't be a bad idea for the flashboot config files to use these
> flags anyway..

Yep... definitely since the flash isn't accessed at all during normal
operation.

Regards
--
Massimo
Change your thoughts and you change your world.