[netflow-tools] freebsd 6.1, pflowd, and virtual IPs

Emerald City / Daniel Duerr dd at emeraldcityeg.com
Mon Jul 10 04:08:31 EST 2006

Hi,

For some reason I keep getting core dumps when I try to "tcpdump -pni
pfsync0" on my firewall.  pfsync_enable="YES" is configured in my
/etc/rc.conf file and pfflowd is definitely producing output to my
netflow collector, its just for the single IP of the firewall itself.  I
ran a "pfctl -ss" to view the state table and I see a lot of lines like
this:

self tcp 192.168.1.140:443 <- x.x.x.40:443 <- y.y.y.y:50970
TIME_WAIT:TIME_WAIT

Where the address on the left is the private IP of one of my web
servers, x.x.x.40 is the public IP of that server (a virtual IP on the
firewall), and y.y.y.y is the public IP of the remote connection.  This
particular example is pretty common for me -- a state tracking for a
remote user who connected to my web server via https.

My not being able to tcpdump the pfsync0 interface definitely concerns
me, and may be part of a problem?  Regardless, it appears my system is
tracking some states to the virtual IPs.

Hope this helps.  Appreciate your advice, Damien.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel Duerr | President | Emerald City Entertainment Group, LLC
dd at emeraldcityeg.com | +1 (831) 621-1767 | www.emeraldcityeg.com