[netflow-tools] flowd is terrific! What do the continuous syslog messages mean?

Jeff Saxe JSaxe at briworks.com
Sat Mar 29 02:12:45 EST 2008

My apologies for first sending this directly to the author instead of
to a proper mailing list, which he took the time to set up. I am
resending it to the list.

Good day! I'm a network engineer, smart guy, and Perl hacker at a
smallish ISP in Charlottesville, Virginia, USA, and I'm trying to use
flowd to put together a clever little client billing system. I
believe everything is working fine, but when I turn on several
routers' and several interfaces' worth of NetFlow packets toward this
(reasonably powerful) Linux box at the same time, I get syslog
messages like...

Mar 26 20:13:27 chance flowd[17102]: Received max number of packets
(512) on fd 3
Mar 26 20:13:27 chance flowd[17102]: Valid netflow v.5 packet 30 flows
Mar 26 20:13:27 chance flowd[17102]: Received max number of packets
(512) on fd 3
Mar 26 20:13:27 chance flowd[17102]: Valid netflow v.5 packet 30 flows
Mar 26 20:13:27 chance flowd[17102]: Valid netflow v.5 packet 30 flows
Mar 26 20:13:27 chance flowd[17102]: Valid netflow v.5 packet 30 flows

Does this mean that actual NetFlow data are being discarded because
they are arriving too fast? I should warn you that I'm using a lot of
flowd.conf "accept" rules (on the order of 1,300, and more coming
next week), so is that a problem? I mainly want to know if all the
data are being collected or not; if they are, I will recompile the
code to just suppress this warning message, but if it's a real
problem, I'd like to know if you have any suggestions for not
dropping packets. I've attached the current flowd.conf in case you
are interested, and if you want to see the Perl code or MySQL table
structure behind the automated rule generation, I can show you that,
too.

If you don't have time to help a stranger with this for free, I
understand; just please tell me if the code is throwing away flows or
not. Thanks very much, sir!

-- Jeff Saxe, Network Engineer
Blue Ridge InternetWorks, Charlottesville, VA
CCIE # 9376
434-817-0707 ext. 2024 (work)  /  434-882-3508 (cell)  /
JSaxe at briworks.com