[netflow-tools] Softflowd

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Mon Jul 13 13:21:23 EST 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Raphael Ruiz wrote:

> Hi every one!
>
> I has observed  what the informations about speed of the link of the
> Internet from softflowd and NFSEN are less than what i see in the
> Cacti.

Some difference is inevitable - softflowd will only look at IP traffic
and disregard any link-layer traffic. Also, reconstructing point-in-time
traffic utilisation from flow data is basically impossible - so whatever
nfsen displays as a utilisation chart would involve some estimation and
guesswork.

> I see too what softflowd has use average 98% of process of  CPU . The
> sofflowd is running in the same machine what nfsen.

Yes, softflowd is quite CPU intensive especially if your traffic mix
consists to lots of tiny flows (e.g. web/DNS traffic).

> What the hardware profile for capture all flows in the link of the 100 Mbits/s?

"It depends"

-d