suse/kde and the new ssh-add/ssh-askpass

Chris Saia csaia at wtower.com
Thu Nov 25 18:03:24 EST 1999

Howdy,

  It seems that as of 1.2pre15, ssh-add no longer looks for
  ssh-askpass in the usual place.  (I noticed this both in the source
  code, ssh-add.c, and to some degree in the ChangeLog.)

  If you're like me and keep ssh-add in your Autostart folder in KDE,
  chances are upgrading to 1.2pre15 will result in no longer getting
  the nice Gnome widget we've come to know and love when starting up.
  To fix this, simply add the following two lines to your ~/.profile:

SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/ssh/ssh-askpass
export SSH_ASKPASS

  Now, the reason I post this to the unix-dev mailing list is that I'd
  like to request that ssh-add will default to the ssh-askpass built
  with the rest of the programs (i.e. /usr/libexec/ssh/...)  unless
  overridden by SSH_ASKPASS.

  Secondly, I'm now making available the spec file that I (and now
  consequently Damien) uses to build SuSE (S)RPMS of OpenSSH.  In
  addition to mailing these to him for building the various releases,
  I'll probably update the spec file and post it in my web tree so
  that others can grab the file without waiting for a new prerelease.
  See http://www.wtower.com/~csaia/openssh.spec.

Cheers,

   csaia at wtower.com, WTnet IRC Administrator - http://www.wtower.com/~csaia/
    GNU Privacy Guard Public Key information is available at the above URL.