openssh & XEmacs gnuclient issue

Chris Green sprout at dok.org
Sun Nov 28 16:04:06 EST 1999

Dug Song <dugsong at monkey.org> writes:

> let us know if you find a good workaround, so we can document it. :-)

This is the cleanest solution I could think of.  Just tell XEmacs to
merge the new cookie file into the xauth its currently using.  If you
are using a local-only credentials setup, the new credentials will
also stay local. If you're credentials are laying around in ~, your
new display is just as secure as your XEmacs process is.

This is a modified version of the editclient.sh that ships w/ XEmacs.

#!/bin/sh
# editclient.sh
if gnuclient -batch -eval t >/dev/null 2>&1
then
  if [ $XAUTHORITY != "" ]; then
     gnuclient -batch -f "shell-command \"xauth merge $XAUTHORITY\"" \
          >/dev/null 2>&1
  fi
  exec gnuclient -q ${1+"$@"}
else
  xemacs -unmapped -f gnuserv-start &
  until gnuclient -batch -eval t >/dev/null 2>&1
  do
     sleep 1
  done
  exec gnuclient -q ${1+"$@"}
fi

--
Chris Green <sprout at dok.org> <grapeape at uab.edu>
Let not the sands of time get in your lunch.