Openssh 1.2pre15: Command terminated on sig. 11

Robert Hardy rhardy at webcon.net
Sun Nov 28 01:44:55 EST 1999

A bug has found its way into Openssh-1.2pre15. It has forced us to downgrade
to pre14.

Our test hosts are connected with regular Ethernet and by an internal VPN.
With that in mind, any given host has two IP addresses. Starting with pre15
we get the fatal error message below every time we connect to the EXTERNAL
ip address (eth0). For some reason, we continue to be able to connect to the
INTERNAL ip address (eth1 & sl0). That, of course, is of limited use to us
as we already have secure connectivity to machines in our VPN.

The problem always happens just as we are about to get a shell prompt after
SSH has requested our password and we have supplied it and hit return.

This is what shows up in the server logs:
sshd[3195]: fatal: Disconnecting: Command terminated on signal 11.

A full session is as follows:

sshd[3195]: Connection from x.x.x.x port 1023
sshd[3195]: Failed rhosts-rsa for x from x.x.x.x port 1023 ruser x
PAM_pwdb[3195]: (sshd) session opened for user x by (uid=x)
sshd[3195]: PAM Password authentication accepted for user "x"
sshd[3195]: Accepted password for x from x.x.x.x port 1023
PAM_pwdb[3195]: (sshd) session opened for user x by (uid=x)
sshd[3195]: fatal: Disconnecting: Command terminated on signal 11.
PAM_pwdb[3195]: (sshd) session closed for user x

I don't remember what the ssh client reported, though something about the
signal 11 was in there too.

I have attached an strace of the server which was turned on while sshd
was sitting at the password prompt.

Regards,
Rob

--
----------------"Linux the choice of a GNU Generation!"-----------------
Robert Hardy                                          C.E.O. Webcon Inc.