Administrivia: spam and non-subscriber submissions

Mate Wierdl mw at moni.msci.memphis.edu
Tue Apr 4 02:15:35 EST 2000

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 03:56:23AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
> It looks like some scumbag has trawled the webpages recently because
> all the addresses listed there are getting the same spam messages.

And this is a problem with the list archive too:  unfortunately, the From
addresses are not hidden by default----I for one started to get spam
from the same source, after a 4 month break.

Whoever does the archiving: please hide the from headers, and perhaps
provide a switch to show it.

> IMO spam is still preferable to dead-tree advertising :)

My address alone gets over 200 rejected spam/day, and I get 3 ads in
the mail/week.  The danger in spam is that unprotected servers get
easily overwhelmed by them.  Once a while, we get desparate people
asking for help on the qmail list because their server is completely
bogged down by a spammer trying to relay a million message through the
server.

I do understand your point, though. But I think spammers (like the one
the list got) advertise stuff not suitable for service mail
advertising.  So I would just say: both are bad.

Mate