Password Login Failing... still...

Keith Baker ssh at par.dhs.org
Mon Apr 10 03:15:29 EST 2000

If I am not mistaken this does not seem to be a tcp-wrapper problem as it
does connect to the service...  its only in the password verification that
it fails...  I did however try your suggestions...  Is there a way to get
sshd to spit out all of the decrypted data it gets?  I'd like to see the
password after it comes through to see it ifs ssh or PAM thats taking the
cake...  Do I have to do anything to PAM to allow ssh to use it for
authentication?

[root at fuzzball t3chie]# /usr/local/sbin/sshd -d -p 4022
debug: sshd version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Bind to port 4022 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 4022.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 192.168.1.3 port 1288
debug: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Starting up PAM with username "t3chie"
debug: Attempting authentication for t3chie.
Failed rsa for t3chie from 192.168.1.3 port 1288
debug: PAM Password authentication for "t3chie" failed: Authentication
failure
Failed password for t3chie from 192.168.1.3 port 1288
Connection closed by 192.168.1.3
debug: Calling cleanup 0x804ea50(0x0)
Cannot close PAM session: System error
Cannot delete credentials: Authentication service cannot retrieve user
credentials
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8056f8c(0x0)

[t3chie at fuzzball ~]# /usr/local/bin/ssh -v -p 4022 fuzzball
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 500 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to fuzzball.dorm.null [192.168.1.3] port 4022.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host 'fuzzball.dorm.null' is known and matches the host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Trying RSA authentication with key 't3chie at fuzzball.dorm.null'
debug: Server refused our key.
debug: Doing password authentication.