problem with password authentication

Antonio Paulo Salgado Forster aforster at br.ibm.com
Tue Apr 11 02:11:32 EST 2000

Hello,

	First of all, I have already read the archives ;)

	I have installed openssh 1.2.3 on a linux machine (slackware
7.0) and have that authentication failure problem.

	Slackware originally doesnt implement PAM, and with these
problems with ssh I tried to install it, and it works fine, but ssh keeps
complaining about passwords...

	this is a paste of a debug run of ssh:

debug: sshd version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 768 bit RSA key.
RSA key generation complete.
debug: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
Connection from 127.0.0.1 port 868
debug: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH-1.2.3
debug: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug: Encryption type: blowfish
debug: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Starting up PAM with username "aforster"
debug: Attempting authentication for aforster.
Failed rsa for aforster from 127.0.0.1 port 868
debug: PAM Password authentication for "aforster" failed: Authentication failure
Failed password for aforster from 127.0.0.1 port 868
debug: PAM Password authentication for "aforster" failed: Authentication failure
Failed password for aforster from 127.0.0.1 port 868
debug: PAM Password authentication for "aforster" failed: Authentication failure
Failed password for aforster from 127.0.0.1 port 868
Connection closed by 127.0.0.1
debug: Calling cleanup 0x804ea68(0x0)
Cannot close PAM session: System error
Cannot delete credentials: Authentication service cannot retrieve user credentials
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8056ec4(0x0)

I have created ssh entries on pam.conf, but no help.

Can someone give me a help on this?

Thanks!

Forster