BUG: ssh-agent memory leak

J. Paul Reed preed at sigkill.com
Sat Apr 29 21:25:45 EST 2000

Hey all!

I've been using OpenSSH on Linux since version 1.2.2; great work...

There is, however, a pretty noticable memory leak in ssh-agent.

I use ssh-agent to provide RSA authorization to automatically open an ssh
connection to download POP mail every three minutes.

When I was using the standard ssh-agent from 1.2.27 (not OpenSSH), I could
leave ssh-agent running for the entire uptime of my machine (typically
around 50 days at a time), and the process would take up about 500k, and
stay at that amount of memory usage.

OpenSSH's ssh-agent, however, will start at around that size, and then
while it's running, balloon in size. By 3 to 4 days of usage, the process
is sitting at around 10 megs; I actually forgot about the leak, and didn't
restart the daemon for about 10 days, and it was using about 35 megs up.
This was the case with both 1.2.2p1 and 1.2.3.

I'm not familiar with the source code, but I'd be happy to help in any way
that I can...memory stats or whatever...I figure there's probably some
obvious free() that's not being done somewhere...

TIA.

Later,
Paul
  J. Paul Reed                  preed at sigkill.com || www.sigkill.com/preed
  I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm
  with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.
                                                         --Grandpa Simpson