OpenPGP auth

sen_ml at eccosys.com sen_ml at eccosys.com
Tue Aug 1 15:04:05 EST 2000

sorry for the late response.

From: Pete Chown <Pete.Chown at skygate.co.uk>
Subject: OpenPGP auth
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:24:11 +0100

> sen_ml at eccosys.com wrote:
>
> > so, are you going to write an openpgp packet manipulation library?
>
> At present I am just invoking the gnupg binary.  I think the gnupg
> people have a project to create a library, so I would probably be
> duplicating work.  (Also it would be a *lot* of work -- much more than
> just doing OpenPGP authentication for OpenSSH.)

iirc, the gnupg people are not working on an openpgp packet
manipulation library.  you might want to confirm this w/ them.

it may be a lot of work, but i was hoping someone could take it up ;-)

> > that'd be very useful for other purposes as well -- for instance, it
> > could be used to write a pam module that will allow a
> > challenge-and-response type of authentication using openpgp keys.
>
> That's an interesting idea...  Also you could do a SASL method that
> used OpenPGP.

yes, i suppose that could be done.

> Actually how about a SASL or GSSAPI method that uses ssh?  Then if
> you use IMAP forwarded by ssh, you don't have to worry about sending
> a password.

i guess that's true if you don't use password authentication,
presumably.

i think i prefer the idea of an sasl method that uses openpgp or a
pam-based method to trying the sasl/gssapi method that uses ssh.