find canonic host name

Wojtek Pilorz wpilorz at bdk.pl
Tue Aug 1 19:04:22 EST 2000

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Andrew Pimlott wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:28:26 -0400
> From: Andrew Pimlott <andrew at pimlott.ne.mediaone.net>
> To: openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> Subject: find canonic host name
>
> I am concerned about the code under the comment
>
>     /* Find canonic host name. */
>
> in ssh.c.  This replaces the hostname entered by the user with the
> cannonical name determined by getaddrinfo, causing the new name to
> be used henceforth.  This includes connecting to the host, and
> finding its public key in a known_hosts file.

[...]
> Am I just confused?  Does the canonic host code serve any important
> purpose?  All in all, I would much rather that ssh always used the
> public key for the host I literally type to verify the foreign host.
I would also strongly prefer that this canonical host name feature be
disable (or that it could be disabled).

I often use systems with several separate Linux installation on the HD,
sometimes even running concurrently (in chrooted environment), installed
with different host keys;
if this host name->canonical host name translation could be disabled, I
would just be able to use different host names in my /etc/hosts
to connect to sshd daemons using different host keys on a single TCP/IP
address.

> Andrew
>
> PS.  Please Cc: me on replies to the list.

Best regards,

Wojtek