problems compiling sshd on slackware 7.x

Andreas Fitzner fitzner at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Aug 6 23:15:13 EST 2000

Hi,

I tried to compile openssh-2.1.1p4 on a slackware 7.1 (and then on a
slackware 7.0). you need to supply -lcrypt because otherwise
auth-passwd.c line 135 calls the wrong crypt and sshd will never let
you log in. (took a while to figure that out.)

I tried './configure --with-libs crypt' but
configure doesn't seem to understand me ;)

checking host system type... Invalid configuration `crypt': machine `crypt' not recognized
checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... no
configure: warning: ****** Your snprintf() function is broken, complain to your vendor
checking for OpenSSL directory... (cached) /usr/local/ssl
checking for RSA support... configure: warning: *** No RSA support found ***
Compiler flags: -g -O2 -Wall -I/usr/local/ssl/include
Linker flags:  -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -L/usr/local/ssl
Libraries: -lnsl -lz  yes -lutil -lcrypto -lRSAglue -lrsaref

and strangely complains about snprintf and wants to enable this rsaref
thingy.

I also tried --with-ldflags but couldn't specify a '-lcrypt' because
configure recognizes this as an to its unknown option. hm.
BTW: ./configure --help | grep ldlags
 (typo!)
only supplying 'lcrypt' creates the same strange reaction as with
'--with-libs crypt'.

At the end I edited the Makefile manually (LIBS=-lcrypt ...)
and it finally works.

I like openssh and after it also works on my box even more ;).

best wishes,
 Andreas