problems compiling sshd on slackware 7.x

Andrew Donkin ard at waikato.ac.nz
Mon Aug 7 07:20:29 EST 2000

> I tried to compile openssh-2.1.1p4 on a slackware 7.1 (and then on a
> slackware 7.0). you need to supply -lcrypt because otherwise
> auth-passwd.c line 135 calls the wrong crypt and sshd will never let
> you log in. (took a while to figure that out.)

This works for me, for many versions of openssh, a couple of versions of
Slackware, and Debian.

        ./configure --with-md5-passwords

I also supply "--with-tcp-wrappers" for obvious reasons, "--without-pam"
because I have the PAM libraries installed and really really want to
avoid using them, and "--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc" because I don't
like the defaults.

But "--with-md5-passwords" should fix your problem.