slow sparc questions

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Fri Aug 11 15:50:17 EST 2000

I've got a couple of SPARCstation 2s (about as fast as a fast 486, for most
thing) that I'm going to be using for some testing.  I realize that these
machines are a bit slow, but when connecting via OpenSSH, it's MUCH slower
than connecting to my 486-DX 50.  The point where it waits is just after
"debug: Sent encrypted session key.".  The pause is for about 10 seconds,
while when connecting to the 486 the pause is barely noticeable.  All
machines are using 3des as the encryption type.  So, I've got a few
questions.
First, why is this machine SO much slower than my 486?  Crappy compiler
(linux is compiled using egcs 1.1.2 and the OpenSSH box is using
ssl-2.6-USA, installed when I did my OpenBSD install)?
Second, would I be better off using another encryption algorithm?  If so,
which one?  These machines are just my toys, not commercial in any way.
What are the pros and cons?  (RTFM links appreciated)
Third, what can I do to help "fix" this slowness?
Later, and thanks,
	Greg

| Windows NT has detected that there were no errors |
| for the past 10 minutes. The system will now try  |
| to restart or crash. Click the OK button to       |
| continue.                                         |
(sigline nicked from Jayan M on comp.os.linux.misc)