OpenSSH port question

Rip Loomis loomisg at cist.saic.com
Thu Aug 31 02:05:39 EST 2000

Andy--
This should be in an FAQ somewhere, but here's
a quick summary of the situation:

1.  OpenSSH ("basic") is principally maintained
	by the OpenBSD developers.  Relevant
	fixes from the portable version *may*
	be incorporated if they are applicable
	to OpenBSD, but there is a specific
	intent to keep the OpenBSD version
	clean of the #ifdefs that make the
	ssh.com 1.2.x code so troublesome
	to follow/audit.

2.  The OpenSSH Portability Team has taken
	the "clean" OpenBSD implementation
	and modified it as required to allow
	compilation and support on other
	platforms.  Again, there is a specific
	interest in keeping the diffs clean
	and minimal, but there are obviously
	changes that need to be incorporated.
	Damien Miller and other folks in the
	portability team communicate with the
	upstream (essentially OpenBSD)
	developers to keep things in sync.

3.  OpenSSH has already been ported to
	NeXT and CygWin (Win32 + Cygnus
	support libraries), so I think that what
	you want to do is possible.  Not
	sure whether the CygWin port might
	already include terminal emulation--
	I use PuTTY as my Win32 client.

Bottom line--I would recommend that you submit
your patches to Damien via the list.  That's what
seems to be working for other folks right now.
Obviously, if you've got 100K of code, it might
be better to put it up for download and send a
pointer.

Hope this helps--

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Senior Systems Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com