OpenSSH port question

Andrew Zabolotny bit at eltech.ru
Wed Aug 30 19:33:44 EST 2000

Good day!

A little time ago I have ported the "original" ssh 1.2.30 to OS/2.
Unfortunately, I was mislead by the gnu-COPYING-GPL file that is present in the
ssh root dir, thus was under impression that ssh is GPL as well. I was shaken
when I have discovered my mistake :-) This basically made it unusable for many
users which want to use ssh in commercial environments.

Thus I decided to port OpenSSH to OS/2, to get a really free ssh. After looking
at your web site I've found that there are two flavours of openssh: OpenBSD and
"portable" version. Thus I have the question: which flavour should I base my
work upon? I could derive it from "portable" ssh, but I believe I will find
hardly a single common line between other OS-es and OS/2.

In general, I prefer to avoid all kinds of ugly #ifdef's spread across the
code. They make sense only for code which is shared by more than one platform;
for OS/2-specific code I'm going to write several additional modules, as I did
for original ssh/sshd. This includes a terminal emulator (um... maybe it would
be helpful for other platforms as well which don't have "built-in" terminals),
a file-system path translator (which maps all kinds of "/etc" and "/dev") and a
misc module for the rest of compatibility stuff.

I'm a little worried by the two flavours being developed at the same time. How
you "refresh" the "base" of the openssh in the "portable" version? Having two
separate versions forces to synchronize these two version often, who's in
charge for this?

Ok, I'll stop here for now.

Greetings,
    _\ndy at teamOS/2