Preserving argument splitting with SSH

Greg Badros gjb at cs.washington.edu
Fri Dec 15 14:11:56 EST 2000

I'm using:

% ssh -V
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.3, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.
% uname -a
Linux gellar 2.2.13 #1 SMP Wed Dec 29 14:07:41 PST 1999 i686 unknown

and am wondering whether it's a fundamental shortcoming of the SSH
protocol that argument splitting is not preserved from client to server,
but instead the argument list is re-split on whitespace.  E.g., from my
machine `gellar', I execute:

% ssh gellar args foo bar 'baz bong'
ARG0 = /usr/home/gregb/bin/share/args, NumArgs = 4
1 = "foo"
2 = "bar"
3 = "baz"
4 = "bong"

(where args is just a script that outputs the arguments), instead of
what I get when I run args directly:

% args foo bar 'baz bong'
ARG0 = /usr/home/gregb/bin/share/args, NumArgs = 3
1 = "foo"
2 = "bar"
3 = "baz bong"

which is much better.  If it's not a limitation of the protocol, then it
should be a pretty easy (and valuable!) fix.

Please include me in replies as I'm not on the list.

Thanks,
Greg