cross compiling configure errors

Johan Adolfsson johan.adolfsson at axis.com
Tue Dec 19 00:22:58 EST 2000

Hi all!
I want to cross compile openssh to our own CPU and our embedded
Linux platform, however I get at least the following errors when running
configure:

checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... configure:
error: can not run test program while cross compiling

checking whether getpgrp takes no argument... configure: error: cannot check
getpgrp if cross compiling

checking for OpenSSL directory... configure: error: can not run test program
while cross compiling

checking for RSA support... configure: error: can not run test program while
cross compiling

I'm not really familiar with configure/autoconf etc. and wonder
if there are any better solution then adding
"if test "$cross_compiling" = no; then
fi"
around the failing tests?

I feel that there must be more people doing cross compiling out there?
I can't find anything in the FAQ or in the mail archives.

When running autoconf I get:
configure.in:337: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:446: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:492: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
configure.in:955: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross
compiling
configure.in:962: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross
compiling
configure.in:985: warning: Cannot check for file existence when cross
compiling

which seems to indicate that it should handle cross compiling,
at least  for the 3 first messages.

Any hints?

/Johan