ssh 2.3.0p1 does not seem to fallback protocol from 2 to 1

Yusuf Goolamabbas yusufg at outblaze.com
Thu Dec 21 19:03:55 EST 2000

Hi, I have the following line in $HOME/.ssh/config

Protocol 2,1

I run OpenSSH 2.3.0p1 on my RH 7.0 box running 2.2.18.
I am trying to ssh into a FreeBSD 4.2-stable box which runs OpenSSH
2.2.0. The account I am trying to ssh into has two files in $HOME/.ssh

authorized_keys and authorized_key2 which contains RSA and DSA keys
respectively.

>From my RH 7.0 machine, I do the following

ssh -v <targethost> and it gets me in via DSA key

Then I rename authorized_keys2 on remote machine to ak_2 and do the
same thing. OpenSSH 2.3.0 tries to connect via DSA key and when it
can't find the key prompts me for the remote users password.

I would have expected it to use the RSA key instead to log me in.

Is there something I might have missed

Regards, Yusuf

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas