ssh 2.3.0p1 does not seem to fallback protocol from 2 to 1

Markus Friedl Markus.Friedl at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Dec 21 22:06:20 EST 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 08:03:55AM -0000, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> I would have expected it to use the RSA key instead to log me in.
>
> Is there something I might have missed

yes. your expectations are wrong :)

'Protocol 2,1' means:

try to start speak the protocol 2 to the ssh server.
if the server does not speak protocol 2, then fallback
to protocol 1.

you did expect: connect with protocol 2 if possible
if authentication fails for some specific method (DSA in your case),
don't even try other methods (like passwd) but reconnect
with protocol 1 and try RSA auth for example.

this will never work.

the fallback is for about: what protocol do i speak to the
server. once you have chosen a protocol and started speaking
it's impossible to change the protocol.

hope this makes things clear.

-markus