ssh: doesn't live well with user-group system

Christian Kurz shorty at debian.org
Fri Dec 29 00:23:49 EST 2000

Hi,

and that's another feature request. Sorry if it looks like some kind of
spamming, but our current maintainer was very stressed in the past and
had not time to forward those reports to you and now I help him a bit
out. So thanks for your patience and answering of all my mails with
bugreport and feature-reqeust.

> Debian by default uses the user-group system. Each user has their own
> group. 002 is a reasonable umask to decide to use if you are using the
> user-group system. (It's hardly the only choice, but it is a valid choice.)

> However, ssh is excessivly paranoid about files that are owned by a group,
> even if that group is a user-group.

> host: Remote: Bad file modes for /home/joey/.ssh/authorized_keys
> host: Server refused our key.
> user at host:~/.ssh>ls -l authorized_keys
> -rw-rw-r--    1 user     user          988 Jan  4 12:16 authorized_keys

> There is nothing "bad" about that file mode.

> My wishlist is that ssh have an option to make it accept files that are
> group writable. Call it anything you want, even
> "allow-insecure-file-group-modes", I don't particularly care..

Ciao
     Christian
--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member