problems with openssh-1.2.2 and pam_tacplus.so

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Feb 4 03:39:22 EST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Dominik Brettnacher wrote:

> You were right, I did not set up any. Now my pam.conf looks like this:

> sshd	auth	required	pam_tacplus.so
> sshd	account	required	pam_unix.so			try_first_pass
> sshd	password	required	pam_unix.so			try_first_pass
> sshd	session	required	pam_unix.so			try_first_pass

> When I use "pam_permit.so" as the session module, I can login
> successfully, but when trying pam_unix.so, I get these errors:

> Feb  3 07:05:01  sshd[17265]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_chauthtok
> Feb  3 07:05:01  sshd[17265]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_open_session
> Feb  3 07:05:01  sshd[17265]: unable to resolve symbol: pam_sm_close_session

This seems to imply that the pam_unix.so module you're using is not compiled
to function as a password or session module.  I really have no idea why this
is.  It may be a problem specific to the FreeBSD port?

One thing you might try is to change the lines to read:

sshd	auth      required	pam_tacplus.so
sshd	account   required	pam_unix_account.so
sshd	password  required	pam_unix_passwd.so	try_first_pass
sshd	session   required	pam_unix_session.so

If pam_unix is available as individual modules on your system.

Otherwise, pam_unix's session support is largely a no-op, and password
changing isn't crucial to sshd's proper functioning, so if all else fails you
could configure it as

sshd	auth      required	pam_tacplus.so
sshd	account   required	pam_unix_account.so
sshd	password  required	pam_permit.so
sshd	session   required	pam_permit.so

HTH,
Steve Langasek