Rekeying

Brian Carrier carrier at cs.purdue.edu
Wed Feb 16 08:22:19 EST 2000

Hello,
I apologize that this is slightly off topic.

According to the Internet Draft I found for SSH ver 1
(draft-ietf-tls-ssh-00.txt from Jun 13, 1996), the client or server can
send a SSH_MSG_KEXINIT at any time to force a new key exchange.  I looked
through the code for OpenSSH and ssh-1.2.27 and can't find where it does
this.  I then searched the Secure Shell mailing list archives and saw some
comments that rekeying will be implemented in Ver 2.

Did I miss the code in OpenSSH?  Are there any ver. 1 implementations that
provide rekeying?  The draft also says that the session key is broken up
to provide different encryption keys and iv's, but the code seems to use
the same keys for both directions and iv = 0.  Is there anywhere that I
can get a more up to date protocol spec?

thanks,
brian