Testing openssh-1.2.1pre25

Phil Karn karn at ka9q.ampr.org
Sat Jan 8 05:28:20 EST 2000

>I would like to volunteer to accept testing methods from other OpenSSH
>folks who really stress out the protocol and systems. What I'm looking for

Okay, here's how I exercise the TCP port-forwarding scheme by websurfing
over it.

Assume you have shell access to a system running sshd and Squid or
some other proxy web cache. Call this machine "squid".

Locally execute the following command in its own window:

ssh -L3128:127.0.0.1:3128 squid

Now configure your web browser to use a proxy with address 127.0.0.1,
port 3128, and surf away.

There used to be an option in Netscape to control the max number of
simultaneous TCP connections that it will open, but I can't find it in
the Linux flavor of Communicator 4.7. Anybody know if it's still there
somewhere? Setting this to a large number would really exercise ssh
port forwarding.

Phil