Mostly good news on the NeXT front.

Ben Lindstrom mouring at pconline.com
Thu Jan 13 07:21:08 EST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Jim Knoble wrote:

> På 2000-Jan-12 klokka 02:28:15 -0600 skrivet Ben Lindstrom:
>
> : [...] Plus NeXT 3.3 (not sure about 4.2 yet) lacks a putenv().  I found
> : one that compiles cleanly from the GNU libc fokes.  Which brings up
> : licensing issues.  I'm not sure if we can get a wavier or if we will
> : have to write our own.  It looks simple enough to rewrite if we have
> : to.  I personally hate reinventing wheels.
>
> Ben, does NeXT have setenv()?  If it does, you might be able to get
> away with making a wrapper that uses either putenv() or setenv(),
> depending on what's available.  That would be much better than trying
> to use glibc code.

Nope already looked for the non-posix setenv() call.  I'll have to look
at the header from the putenv() the gnu libc fragment I have.  I know
it was dated 1991.  Which if I'm not mistaken is pre-LGPL.  But I suspect
that it would not be hard to get a wavier to at least LGPL if it's not
already.

If anyone was on #unixhelp/#nixhelp on efnet last night you would have
heard me curse up and down about lack of native libc functions on
NeXT.=)