PAM config file installation

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at thermo.stat.ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 17 05:25:16 EST 2000

On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 03:22:24PM +0000, Andre Lucas wrote:
> In any case, I think a working Linux PAM config file should be in the
> distribution. Perhaps someone who knows PAM well can provide one that's
> good on Linux-PAM?

I just copy the one used for login, and remove the references to
pam_securetty, and it's always worked fine.  Under Red Hat Linux 6.1:

#%PAM-1.0
#auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

If I were using another distribution, I'd expect pam_pwdb to be replaced
by pam_unix, but the arguments wouldn't need to change.  This might be a
good one to include in the Red Hat-specific RPM, anyway.

Cheers,

Nalin