Porting openssh to Win32

Andre Lucas andre.lucas at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jan 20 23:54:40 EST 2000

I did look into it a short while ago. I don't have the time to work on
it now, and I didn't get that far (I was busy with other stuff) so I'm
afraid I don't have any source to give to you.

First port of call was a cygwin port of openssl (I was using cygwin 1.0,
not b20.1) as the existing win32 stuff is for the M$ compiler. I got it
compiled with gcc (using the gcc target, and changing  an 'ln -s'
command to a copy, as the symlink was looping on NT) but for some reason
a file was getting truncated and the tests failed. I stopped there as
there was other stuff to do on the Unix ports.

Then, as Damien pointed out to me, a good random source is required,
which will probably require some native win32 code to access the
system's entropy sources.  The performance monitor interface looked a
good bet for this. There was some talk recently of porting the Yarrow
PRNG from VC++, that would help but it's still some way off I think.

Then there's the pseudo-terminal implementation, which I didn't get to
I'm afraid.

Ta,
-Andre