EGD requirement a show stopper for me

Andre Lucas andre.lucas at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jan 31 20:47:12 EST 2000

Andrew Stribblehill wrote:

> The author in their paper say that there is a UNIX port. But I
> mailed them about it and they didn't get back to me.

I did the same thing, I also didn't get a reply.

> I agree that the code is full of yuck but we wouldn't need the
> front-end and the back-end could be pretty simple. So this leaves
> us with the task of porting the bit in the middle! Sadly, I can't
> understand the M$ makefile-alike distributed with it.

It's a quite simple build. All dirs except testapp compile into separate
libraries (hence the DllMain() stuff) and the resulting libraries are
copied to %systemroot%\system32. Testapp links against the dll export
files.

> All the same, this still leaves us with the same problem, namely
> that of needing to have a daemon around all the time.

We already have a daemon around all the time, sshd. There's no reason
why the entropy hooks and the yarrow code should be outside that.

FWIW I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a standalone PRNG daemon
- I actually think that would be a good thing, and others could benefit
from it. We could stir in good /dev/random output as additional entropy,
but still be portable to systems that lack such devices.

Ta,
-Andre