AW: rhostsauthentication fails. (Or why I hate poorly documented software.)

Bladt Norbert Norbert.Bladt at adi.ch
Tue Jul 4 16:00:41 EST 2000

> jeff at ntcor.com [SMTP:jeff at ntcor.com] wrote:
>
> I have a ssh enabled server and client machine (we'll call them "server"
> and "client" respectively...)
OK :-)

> They both have proper RSA and DSA keys,using protocol version 2 works
> fine between them. (so ssh itself and the network is working fine)
OK.

> However, I want to get something that will work with rsync without having
> to manually enter passwords, passphrases, or enter such information
hardcoded
> in scripts.
We are in a similar situation, executing remote commands
from a script.

> I figured I'ld first get rhosts authentication working and then move to
> rhosts/RSA authentication (if that doesn't require passphrase.)
May be it works, may be it doesn't.

What I have done to get it to work is:

	1. Create private keys on client (~/.ssh/identity und identity.pub)
	2. Put identity.pub on server in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
	3. Added host/user on server in ~/.shosts

[...]
> Here's the sshd_config from the server...
Compared to the same part of the sshd_config on our server:
>  Protocol 1
No such entry in my sshd_config on server, does it matter for this case ?
>  RSAAuthentication no
"yes" on our server
> PasswordAuthentication no
"yes" on our server
>  RhostsAuthentication yes
"no" on our server

>  IgnoreRhosts no
Same here, i.e. "no", just to read .shosts (comment in the sshd_config
example)

> I have "client" listed in the /etc/hosts.equiv file and...
> (for testing purposes.) "rlogin server" from the client works fine,
> login is granted without a password. So I know rhosts authentication
> is configured correctly for at least rsh.
No entries in /etc/hosts.equiv (we really don't want rhosts
authentication).
With the above setup the command
	slogin server
works without asking any passwords or passphrases.
The same for "ssh" or "scp".
We don't have any .rhosts file either.

I think we'll set the "PasswordAuthentication no"
in our server sshd_config file, later.

HTH,

Norbert Bladt.

--