sftp

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Fri Jul 21 03:35:58 EST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Just do what I do.  Use the spiffy graphical FTP of your choice
> on your NT box.  Then just config your ssh connection to tunnel
> your plain old FTP protocol to the remote host.
>
> Voila!  And fully standards compliant.

Yes.  This is very usually done.  However, there are some difficulties.

- data channels cannot be encrypted.
- you have to have a working shell account as well as ftp account (I think
with sftp it could be restricted)
- When you want to transfer files, you have to use SSH first.  This seems
like an unnecessary procedure for newbie'ish people.

--
Pekka Savola                    "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Pekka.Savola at netcore.fi          not those you stumble over and fall"