bug in lastlog logging?

Rip Loomis loomisg at cist.saic.com
Fri Jul 28 05:31:39 EST 2000

Henry--
Frequently, the login name that shows up in logs
and such is the first account listed in /etc/passwd
with the correct UID.  I've personally seen this
in a lot of other cases, although not specifically
with OpenSSH.

One of the steps we normally do when hardening a
system is to ensure that no two accounts have the
same UID--essentially, there is always a better
solution.

Not 100% sure if this is what is causing the
symptom you're seeing, but it sure sounds like
it.  I think the answer is "Hey doc...it hurts
when I do this!" "Well, then don't do that any
more."

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com