pine/openssh

Paul Heinlein heinlein at cse.ogi.edu
Sat Jun 10 01:08:12 EST 2000

Forgive me for asking an implementation question on the developers'
list...

Until yesterday, I was using ssh-1.2.2x on my Linux boxes here at work. I
ssh-enabled pine (4.21) by pointing it at our imap server and adding the
following directives to ~/.pinerc:

ssh-open-timeout=30
ssh-path=/usr/local/bin/ssh
ssh-command="%s %s -l %s exec /usr/etc/local/%sd"

Everything worked great. I'd wrap my local X sessions in ssh-agent, load
my rsa key and voila! Password-less imap. On those rare occasions when
pine prompted me for a password, I'd know that my ssh connection hadn't
"taken" and that something was amiss.

Upon installation of openssh-2.1.0p3, the connection no longer "takes" --
ever. I've fiddled and fiddled, to no avail.

Before I start running some serious tcpdump sessions, I thought I'd ask if
anyone's encountered this problem and/or devised a solution.

. Paul Heinlein  <heinlein at cse.ogi.edu> . . . . . . . .
. Webmaster, Systems Administrator                    .
. Department of Computer Science and Engineering      .
. Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology .
. Beaverton, Oregon, USA                              .
. 503-748-1199      http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~heinlein/ .