pine/openssh

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sun Jun 18 14:11:27 EST 2000

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Forgive me for asking an implementation question on the developers'
> list...

Forgive my slow reply :)

> Until yesterday, I was using ssh-1.2.2x on my Linux boxes here at work. I
> ssh-enabled pine (4.21) by pointing it at our imap server and adding the
> following directives to ~/.pinerc:
>
> ssh-open-timeout=30
> ssh-path=/usr/local/bin/ssh
> ssh-command="%s %s -l %s exec /usr/etc/local/%sd"
>
> Everything worked great. I'd wrap my local X sessions in ssh-agent, load
> my rsa key and voila! Password-less imap. On those rare occasions when
> pine prompted me for a password, I'd know that my ssh connection hadn't
> "taken" and that something was amiss.
>
> Upon installation of openssh-2.1.0p3, the connection no longer "takes" --
> ever. I've fiddled and fiddled, to no avail.

Have you tried the 2.1.1p1 release? There were quite a few fixes
included.

The output of ssh in verbose mode would be preferable to tcpdumps. To
capture this you might need to create a wrapper script that runs "ssh
-v" and directs stderr to a log file. Use the wrapper instead of ssh
in your pinerc.

-d